Re: bumper swap

I have a '76 Spider on which a previous owner (a good friend on mine) started
convert the bumpers to a 71-74.

The back bumper wasn't that hard - new mounts had to be fabricated.  The
71-74 bumpers don't just bolt on to the existing mounts.  The '71-74 have one
large "bolt/mount" (per side) that holds the bumper onto the car.  75+ has a
bracket that holds a "shock absorber" with four small bolts holding the bumper
onto the car.

The front is what is difficult.  The 71-74 has a large removable W-shaped
cross-member that bolts to the car and the bumpers bolt to the cross-member.
On 75+ there is a straight cross-member that is welded to the chassis.  The
straight cross-member has to be cut out and some sort of mounts have to be
fabricated to mount the 71-74 cross-member.  Once again it just doesn't bolt
on.  If you can cut and weld it is probably not too difficult a job.

To make a long story short - my car has a '71-74 rear bumper and '76 front
bumper.

Ben Higgins

'69 GTV Euro
'79 GTV Euro