Re: Vapor Separator

If we're talking about the crankcase ventilation oil separator, the
question was asked "how does it work?" It works by inducing a swirl in the
airflow from the camshaft cover to the intake manifold. Because the
droplets of oil are heavier than air, centrifugal force in the swirling
flow causes the droplets to fling against the sidewalls of the separator,
where they are collected and returned to the crankcase at the dipstick.
It's important to keep them as clean as possible, because the airflow back
into the cylinders is *unfiltered* (at least on my '74) so the crud ends up
ingested by the engine or down in the oil sump (the oil is then filtered).
Mine was very rusty inside, so I replaced it with a new one from Grove
Motors in San Luis Obispo. It had an elbow on the outlet back to the intake
manifold which was different from the stock unit, but was easily modified.
I breathe much easier knowing my new motor is breathing easier.

Mike Grace
Santa Barbara
74 GTV