which red

=46or the Novato GTV owner looking for that orange-side red:  you should
definitely check the Glassurit AR504 before you fall back on PPG's (or
whoever's) VW MarsRot formula.  I went through several months of
searching -- carrying my detached glove-box lid for reference almost
everywhere I went, making a spectacle of myself in parking lots and a
nuisance of myself in paint stores -- before I found the Glassurit
chart.  Until that day, I thought I would have to use MarsRot (or an
equivalent red in the Mitsubishi section).  They were both very close
under direct light-sources; but went too much to the orange side in
open shade.  I had even worse luck with purported computer 'matching'
from either PPG or DuPont dealers.  The AR504, once I found it, held
"true" in every light condition I could subject it to.

One issue you may need to consider: Glassurit has, fairly recently,
changed the chemistry of its products to meet new VOC emisssion
requirements.  As I recall, the AR504 mix that I used was from the
Line 21 series, which is being replaced by Line 22 (forgive me if my
nomenclature is wrong here, but I think you'll get the idea).  I was
told that the AR504 color would be available in the new line but,
because I found a dealer with the 21 series still in stock, I never
tested the 22 formulation.  It would be prudent to do that, or to have
your work done someplace where the Line 21 is still legally available
(the last I knew, Sacramento and Santa Cruz area shops could still use
it, while San Francisco shops could not).

Good luck!
   Wilson Van Alst
   67 Duetto in resoration
   68 Spider Veloce in rust-oration