Re: Alfetta exhaust mods

>Date: Thu, 30 Jul 1998 11:28:40 +1200
>From: graham.hilder@domain.elided (Graham Hilder)
>Subject: Alfetta exhaust mods (was Better Alfetta)

[anip]

>Nonetheless, I'd be very interested in any more comments from
>Nathan and/or others on the exhaust, including :
>
>- -  Comments on the nanifold (original Euro cast iron)..... is there
>much benefit from replacing this with a performance design?
>Is the standard Alfetta design really as poor as sometimes
>claimed?

I don't think it's poor, and after putting the Vin Sharp's PACE extractors
onto our racer, it certainly didn't feel like a huge difference (other than
they are a LOT lighter than standard ones!). The engine developed a funny
twang from the exhaust right at 2500RPM though, and we could never figure it
out...it suddely got a lot louder and sharper in pitch, for about 500revs...
Vin claims more torque and about 8% or so more hp (from memory).
They are also a lot less brittle than cast iron extractors if you happen to
hit a speedbump or lump in the road (sigh)
Also you can use the special thermal wrap on Vin's extractors (nice to have
but not necessary on a roadcar, we used it to stop too much heat reaching
the brake booster)

>- - Any comments about the resonator (the first in-line component
>behind the manifold)? What is its function in life, and what would
>be the pros and cons of removing it?

We removed it after the PACE extractors went on, but with standard primary
and secondary headers, we simply left it on.

>- -  Any other comments? This motor feels pretty damn free-revving
>already. Given that, does it seem likely that I'd get much bang for
>the buck if I spent money on a free-er flowing exhaust?

Unless your mufflers need replacing, dont. Save your money. In all
likelyhood, the mufflers on your car now (from the muffler shop) are freeer
than the standard Alfa Romeo parts which restricted my engine to about
5000-5500 rpm.
- --
Nathan Wong	       http://www.nectar.com.au/~alfacors
	           - Alfa Romeo - Club Cars - Super Touring -
AlfaCors@domain.elided	 - Formula One - V8Supercars -