105 notes and GTV6 shifter position

     Even after working on Alfas for the last 16 years, I'm still learning
     from my mistakes.  For instance, this weekend I was replacing the
     radiator hoses in my 69 spider and decided to put in the cleaned-out
     radiator from my dearly de(parted) 74 GTV.  The GTV radiator has the
     filler neck right on top whereas the spider's filler neck sits on top
     of an extension that protrudes toward the engine. Since the radiator
     on my restored GTV looked like the one on the spider, I thought
     nothing of the difference.
     For the benefit of those that may try radiator replacements in the
     future, here is the lesson I learned about radiators of the 105/115
     body styles.  That odd protrusion on the spider radiator is absolutely
     necessary to obtain hood clearance.  Apparently, either radiator style
     can go into a GTV, but the spider's hood clearance doesn't allow the
     filler neck to sit right on top of the radiator.Fortunately, I noticed
     this before closing and damaging the hood on my pristine spider, but I
     wasted an hour draining the coolant again and replacing the radiator.

     I'm posting this question to the greater wisdom and experience of the
     list so I may avoid more wasted time on my next project.  The shift
     lever on my '81 GTV6 rests between the 5th and R positions rather than
     between 3rd and 4th.  It's been like that since I got the car 8 years
     ago and was probably caused by the DPO doing some clutch/ transmission
     work.  This oddity is annoying and takes extra arm strength to get to
     first and 2nd gears. Since I am planning to replace the center muffler
     on this car, I was wondering if there is a way to restore the shift
     lever while things are out of the way.  If anyone has encountered a
     similar problem or knows what kind of fault might cause this, I sure
     would appreciate hearing from you before I get into the transaxle.
     Thanks in advance>

     Farzan in CT   69 Spider, 71 Berlina, 74 GTV, (Montreal wanted), 75
     Spider, 76 sedan and 79 Sport Sedan (For Sale), 81 GTV6, 91 164S (in
     the body shop awaiting a new hood and fender)
LEGAL NOTICE:

Unless expressly stated otherwise, this message is confidential and
may be privileged.  It is intended for the addressee(s) only.
Access to this e-mail by anyone else is unauthorized.  If you are not
an addressee, any disclosure or copying of the contents of this e-mail
or any action taken (or not taken) in reliance on it is unauthorized and
may be unlawful. If you are not an addressee, please inform the sender
immediately.