Re: O2 sensor & 75 TS

Oleg asks:

> This is a very stupid question, and surely a FAQ, but I can't find the
> damned thing (O2 sensor) in my non-cat '88 Alfa Romeo 75 2.0
> TwinSpark...
>
> The general sense is confused:
>
> 1. No catalytical converter -> no place to screw in the O2 sensor
[]  Not absolutely true.  I haven't seen a TS without a cat, but with a
cat, the sensor is not actually in the body itself, but in the pipe.
> 2. Engine management is Motronic ML 4.1 -> operates Ok without O2
> sensor ?
[]  According to the factory manual this is correct.
> 3. Can't see any hanging wires...
[]  I have to ask if you are looking in the right place. The cabling on
the Right Hand Drive 88 and 89 cars with cats starts in front of the
passenger in the engine bay on the firewall, and consists of the 2
heater wires and a shielded wire.  It goes straight down from the
connector in the loom to the O2 sensor which is in the exhaust pipe
under the car, under the drivers seat approximately.

> I wanted to check the voltage, but no place to connect :) Just
> sometimes/some rpm ranges
> the car is somewhat "sluggish"... Could be the engine temp. sensor
> too?
> (at the back of the engine block)
[]  Agreed.  Or the thermostat if the engine is not getting hot enough.
First, clean the connection on that temperature sensor.

Cheers,
david
89 75 TS.