Re: Titanium-based sealant and other(?) silicones

> I asked the Ferrari mechanic what he used and his response was - a titanium
> based sealant (I am assuming the titanium was carried in a silicone based
> compound) - very expensive and no longer available (it was white - he said he
> got it when he worked at the Ferrari dealer).  He had run out of the titanium
> and finished the rebuild with Permatex high copper.  He told me not to use
> anything but the copper on the engine on both sides of the gasket - a very
> thin coat!  I was skeptical - as I have always worried about getting things
> apart - his reply was that they would actually come apart better with the
> copper silicone!

 Although the word titanium is magic to us sports car enthusiasts, I believe the sealant the mechanic was talking about was just dyed
white with titanium dioxide,  which is a common white pigment used in all kinds of paints.  The sealant in question must have been based
on something else (good idea to market it on the strength of titanium name though)!

And now for some opinions about sealants:  Permatex silicones (and other RTV types) work well.  Use according to instructions and do not
use much.  New (gnu??) gaskets don't really need anything, but I have sometimes put some grease on them.  That makes the engine easy to
disassemble.  This worked on our Suzuki racing engine also,  but I did not do it with my Alfa.  For my previous Alfa rebuild I got a
'Xylan'(?)coated head gasket from Ereminas Imports and it worked well for many years (without ever re- torquing the head),  but I was
told they are no longer available.

Olli Jermo
ollie@sci.fi
2000 GTV -72