catalytic converter heat shield- '88 spyder

The heat shield sandwiched between the catalytic converter and the floor pan
on my '88 spyder veloce is in sad shape.  There is very little asbestos?
material left on the shield.  I have repaired some of the holes and cracks
with JB weld.  Will the shield be effective without the insulating material?
Are replacements available?  Has anyone else come up with a fix?  I am
concerned that the temperature of the catalytic converter reaches very high
temperatures, and could eventually burn the carpet and insulation material
under my legs. (ouch)
Paul Steffy in Chico
'88 Spyder veloce