Re: 164 headlight washer relay

Steve asks about the part number on his relay.  I have the relay on my 91 164S
and it is intermittent, mostly "mittent".  If I jumper the wires that the
relay works when it is working, the headlight washers work.   I determined
this by using my trusty voltmeter.  There is the power plug from the battery,
another plug is energized when the headlights are on,  and a third is the
switch circuit for the washer switch and a ground, and finally the line to the
headlight washer pump.

The relay is a long Bosch relay, twice the length of the regular "cubical"
relays.  My local Parts America did not show any listings.  I have not tried a
good foreign car parts place yet.  The relay number is Bosch 12V, has a 058 in
a circle and a number of 1 397 328 006 with five contacts, S, 30, 31, 26, & P.

If the windshield washers work, then the only other thing that could be wrong
is the headlight washer pump.  It is actually rather easy to get to, just
remove the right front wheel, front inner fender liner, only three screws and
a plastic "rivet".

I expect it is the relay, although it could be connections to the pump in the
fender wells.

Hope this helps.  And if anyone knows of a local source for the relays, please
post for both Steve and my benefit.

John Justus
1991 164S
1995 164Q