Verde starter moter sticking

The problem:  1st thing in the morning I get in the car, turn on the key, the
starter fires, the engine starts, and the starter motor stays engaged and
running;  I turn off the key, the engine stops firing, but the starter motor
is still running and turning the engine over; even if I pull out the key.

Before I muck around, does anyone have any suggestions or has seen this before
?

It's happened 3 times now in the last 2 weeks, and only on the first start of
the day.  Eventually, the starter motor drops out, but I can't trust it so
I'll be disconnecting the battery next time.

Thanks !

Dave Westphal