Re: alfa-digest V6 #26

> Date: Wed, 04 Mar 1998 15:56:30 +0000
> From: Paul Russo <russo@dera.gov.uk>
> Subject: UK 164 Lusso Auto - Ticking relays ?
>
> Hi all,
>
> Question: If I put my 164 into 'Park' with the engine running AND THE
> HEATING ETC OFF !!! and wiggle it around, some sort of relay behind the
> speedo etc. clicks.  This also happens when I accelerate away gently
> although I cannot identify why or make it repeat.
>
> It is not the air con system or heating (the motors click slightly anyway).
> I am about to buy the manual on CD-ROM but wonder if any other fellow
> digesters have had similar problems, is it just the starter lock out I wonder ?

Paul,

I'm not sure if this is what you're talking about, but on my '89 164
(sold now) the electrical system would be shut down almost completely
when the key was turned to activate the starter motor.  I assume this
is done to give the starter a fighting chance of turning the motor
over without the A/C compressor and alternator stopping it.

This particular car had a slightly worn key barrel, and occasionally
would not return far enough from the start position to switch all
the electricals back on.

It drove me and my wife nuts for about 6 months.  We would hop in the
car, start driving, get to the first corner and discover the indicators
wouldn't work.  I had no idea what the problem was, other than stopping
and re-starting the car would fix it (did you guess I was a programmer :-)

When I discovered what was going on, and that turning the key slightly back
to the "ON" position away from start fixed it, I was sort-of amused.

Your ignition barrel may be slightly worn, or showing the first signs
of being so.  Try turning the key back a little and see what happens.

dave.