automotive engineering

I just received the February issue of the SAE publication "Automotive
Engineering". It contains an article on Jaguar engineering, and I'd like to
quote the following paragraph from Bob Knight, who was Jaguar's Deputy
Director of Engineering and later became Managing Director. This pertains to
the development of the suspension for the original XJ-6 in the 60's:

        "Of course we had no computer to simulate ride and handling. The car
was our analog computer; it is something to remember even today when
developing a new model: the best computer is the car itself."

I couldn't resist.

Y. Boulanger, M. Eng. and SAE member...