Re: GTV6 fan assy wiring diag

>Date: Tue, 3 Mar 1998 12:47:13 -0800

>From: Tom_Quinn@3com.com

>Subject: GTV6 fan assy wiring diag

>I don't think this ever made it to the digest because of the "transition"

>so here it is again:

>Does anybody have a wiring diagram for how the fan assy works in a late

>model GTV6 w/ AC. When I short out the fan switch only one of my fans goes

>on. I did switch the fans and when I did the other one works, so both fans

>seem OK. I tried to follow the wiring but with two relays, two fans, and

>the AC it is a little confusing. Thanks.

>- -TomQ

>'86 GTV6 (over heating in traffic)

>Palo Alto, CA

Hey Tom,
I've a lazy fan in my 84 GTV6. Its the one on the passenger side. And I'm
pretty sure that the wire lead is chaffed at the point where it passes through
the sheet metal in front of the air filter box. Once I get a warm Saturday
I'll address this with some new wire and some thick plastic insulation around
the hole which has chaffed the wire.
I think you should have your radiator flow tested also. Has your car ever been
fed any stop leak (by a previous owner, of course)?. Even with my passenger
side fan totally disconected my temp gauge stays where it should 185 degrees
tops. And this was back in our blazing hot summer 95 degrees to 100 degrees
running on the hi-way for three hours. Even bopping around town in traffic one
fan should keep you from the red zone.
The day I test drove my GTV6 (before purchase) I let it sit running until the
thermostat kicked the fans on. Only one kicked on. I let the car run anouther
ten minutes just standing still and that temp gauge never went above 185
degrees.
That's what I know.
JimboMGA@aol.com
1984 GTV6 (graunch)
1969 912 (44/56) incredible piece of mind from having no radiator. If I'm in
traffic and I smell coolant I just smile.