Re: Spitty GTV6

> Date: Tue, 03 Mar 1998 06:07:39 -0700
> From: Chip Denyko <cdenyko@bannex.com>
> Subject: Spitty GTV6
>
> I have been experiencing for some time now a
> "spitty" response from my 84 GTV6. It usually
> occurrs when the car is first started, and seems to
> be more noticable on humid or cold days. Once
> started up, usually as I go up the street it
> straightens out, but it can come back intermittetly
> as well and occur at other than cold or damp times.
> I know there are several things to suspect, but what
> my question is (father Fred?) is what would be the
> logical order to proceed, and what tools to test with.
> I am already replacing the plug wires (just because
> they need it anyway) and shortly will replace the
> rubber gas lines from gas tank to hard lines on the
> rear (just recently did all of them at the engine in
> tech session) and gas filter.
> Other suspicions would include one injector not
> firing correctly, or staying open, but I don't know
> how to test that, or what special tools would be
> required.
> Guidance, Thoughts, Voodoo ritual, - I give it the
> old Italian tune up all the time!

Based on painfully recent experience that resulted in a fire in the
engine room (and about $2000 of damage!), your problem sounds like one,
or more of the fuel injectors is tired out.

WARNING: If the engine backfires while trying to start it, DO NOT TRY
AGAIN TO START IT.  There is a big chance that you will start a fire in
your GTV6's engine room.

The guy (a pretty decent mechanic, though not a great one) who repaired
the mechanical damage says that it is not practical to try to isolate
the used up injector(s).  Just replace all of them. The parts cost me
about $450.

This incident reminded me of the wisdom of keeping a fire bottle in the
car.  Be sure that you get one with a metal automotive hanger.  Do not
try to mount one with a plastic hanger in the car (unless you fancy
having a 10 pound mass flying around the car in the event of a crash).
I prefer to mount a fire bottle in the cockpit, but I haven't figured
out where to do it effectively in my GTV6.

chrisp