berlina ratios

     From everything I have seen and read (though I haven't actually
     examined an axle lately), all USA-spec 5-speed Berlinas had 4.55 rear
     axles.  This was also true for comparable year (1969-1974) Spiders and
     GTVs.  I suspect that, among other reasons, this was because of smog
     regs.  If the Berlina had used a different axle, it would have had to
     pass a different federal smog certification process to get it into the
     US, which I'm sure Alfa didn't want to afford, with sales of 1000 or
     so Berlinas per year here.  Automatic Berlinas would be a different
     story, but I have not heard that any were sold in the US, though Road
     & Track did a brief test of one in 1972 or so.

     Andrew Watry
     Berlina Register
     67 Giulia Super
     69 Berlina