164 steering rack boot etc

Just thought I'd let you know how great my car is. As if you didn't
already :-)
In the UK we have an annual safety check, well mine just passed with
only minor problems. First problem was a bulb, no problem.
Second problem was a steering rack boot, RHS, drivers side. This was a
pain as the hoses for the power steering get in the way of refitting the
thing. I found that the way to do this was to lie under the car looking
at it from as far back as you can (if you're doing it you'll find where
this is easily) and fit it using your right hand via the wheel arch. No
other way it can be done. AMHIK!
Last problem was the centre exhaust section. Had this replaced by the
test place at 120 GBP.
After that it passed the test and is legal for another year. Great news!
As I'm so happy, I'll relate a "funny". Pulled up at the traffic lights
alongside a newish Supra. As I was pulling alongside I noticed the super
skinny "spare" on the rear. So as one does I revved the engine and
looked mean before the lights turned green. When they turned green I sat
and watched the Supra set off as if it had been rammed by a truck and
turn very sideways in front of me. Very amusing!
On a more adult note, the Milano/75 rear donut had me swearing as I
couldn't get the thing off! The serrated bolts wouldn't come out so I
had to lever hard on the rubber to get it off. Once the shaft was split
I could knock them out with a copper faced hammer but I don't know if
they are supposed to be knock-outable.
During this debacle I took out the centre bearing support and the
removable cross member. Doing this taught me that an impact wrnch is a
great way of getting all the dust and mud off the underside of your car.
I was wearing safety glasses fortunately. Don't try this without, I had
to have two baths when I had finished.
--
Jonathan Coates
164LV6 Daily driver