Re: alfa-digest V6 #17 Valve shims...

The circumfrential groove denotes V-6 intake shims, which my manual says
not to mix with four cylinder shims. I've mixed long before I was aware
of the difference without apparent difficulty (when you charge people
for working on their cars, you hear about any difficulties, believe
me!). The shims are hardened, and it is not recommended , or good
practice, to "rig" an existing shim by sanding it or machining it. In a
jam, I've used a magnetic chuck with a surface grinder, but I wouldn't
do it on anything that wasn't my
own...                                              -Peter Krause