Valve Shims

Every shim I've had to reduce in size has been harded. They way I do
mine is to take my belt sander with a fine grit belt and turn it upside
down on my bench. I put the shim on the belt and using a valve stem or
other similar tool, hold the shim down on the belt and then bump the
switch on and off once or twice depending on how thick the shim is and
how much I want to remove. Also you don't want to get it too hot and
lose the hardness. I dowp it in water to cool it and the I measure it
and if necessay repeat the procedure. Once i get it to within a couple
of thousands I use wet sand paper to finish it off.

This work pretty good and keeps the square while you grind the off.

Regards

Ralph Fetsch

Houston, Texas