Re: Valve Shims

You can keep a record of the shims installed for each valve at your last valve
adjustment.  Then simply measure clearances prior to your next service,
calculate change required and new shim thickness needed for each valve. Order
new shims.  You only need to remove the camshaft cover to do this.  When the new
shims arrive, remove camshafts and install them.  After a while you'll have a
collection of shims of various thicknesses (labeled of course), and you'll know
the thicknesses of shims in the engine.  You'll probably only need to order a
few shims once in a while and swap the rest around as necessary.

Our corporate e-mail system wasn't receiving outside e-mail for a while.  It's
really great to be back on the digest!

I appreciated Pat Braden's comment regarding people who have been a help to the
Alfa community for a long time.  That's what we really are, a world-wide
community with a common interest in Alfa Romeos.  I am compelled to express my
thanks to those individuals who have contributed and given something back to the
community.  In coming years we will depend on each other even more to maintain
our Italian cars.

Regarding GM cars, our 1982 Buick skylark went 205K (RIP), never apart, would
have gone much longer if my wife paid any attention to the oil level prior to
marriage.  She would drive it until it made noise and lost power to the extent
it was almost undrivable, then add oil!!  She still thinks her transportation
vehicle can be maintained the same way as her refrigerator.  Just use it, it
shouldn't ever need anything.  Scary.

Loyd Heimbruch
Stella del Nord Chapter (Minnesota), AROC

1978 Niki Spider #022 - Dad's toy
1991 John Deere 322 - Dad's snow mover
1991 Plymouth Voyager AWD - Mom's appliance
1986 Oldsmobile Ciera - 150K, 4 cyl 2.5L, never apart.
Oil and filter every 2500 miles, other filters as needed.