Knock/advance

Some comments on ignition timing and knock (sorry for the length... it
inadvertently became a treatise):

To meet NOx regs in the US, auto manufacturers retarded the timing in cars
in the early '70s.  NOx forms at higher combustion temperatures, and also
has a relation to pressure as well (scales with P^0.5 as I recall).  In
spark ignition engines, as you retard timing from TDC, both peak combustion
temperatures and peak cylinder pressures go down (as does NOx).  On a
simple level, , this is because the gases are expanding at the same time as
the combustion chamber.  On the other hand, if you spark as you are
compressing (ignition BTDC), the expanding gases (due to combustion) are
acting against a compressing combustion chamber.  Thus, peak cylinder
pressures and temperatures are higher.

In terms of efficiency, if combustion were instantaneous, you would expect
the engine to be at its peak power AND efficiency while sparking at TDC.
However, combustion does take some time.  So, in practice, peak power
normally occurs at timing somewhere BTDC.

A quick look at tune-up specifications for Euro and US alfas will reveal
that the rest of the world tunes their cars for more advance than in the
US.  Expect your power to increase as you advance your timing from US
specs.... to a point.

At some point of advance, power goes down.  Simplistically, you can imagine
the expanding gases working against the piston moving up.  At some point,
you'll be firing too early  and the pressure produced from combustion works
against the piston (on the up stroke) more than it works with the piston
(on the down stroke).  Again, if combustion were instantaneous, this effect
would not be there.  If this were the only issue with spark advance, the
method of maximizing acceleration would be a fine way of determining proper
spark advance.  Of course, life is not so simple due to knock.

Knock is synonymous with detonation.  Strictly speaking, a detonation is
different from a deflagration (typical "burn") in that the flame front is
supersonic.  Detonations typically produce much higher pressures than
deflagrations.  Spark ignition engines are designed to operate with
deflagrations.  As the flame front proceeds, the gases behind cool and
contract a bit.  When a detonation occurs, combustion occurs much more
rapidly, and peak pressures increase due to there being less time for the
combustion gases to cool (and contract) behind the flame front.  Thus, when
you detonate the fuel-air mixture in an SI engine, you produce cylinder
pressures (and temperatures) much higher than the design conditions.  This
leads to melted/damaged pistons and other "bad" things.  Detonation is
something to avoid in SI engines.  Diesels, on the other hand, are designed
to operate in this mode.

For a given fuel air mixture, the tendency for knock increases with spark
advance.  For a given spark advance, the tendency for knock increases with
fuel-air mixture initial temperature, and reduces with octane number of the
fuel (empirically determined, by the way, using a standard engine whose
compression ratio is increased to the point of knock.... not much "science"
in that number).  The tendency for knock is also a function of fuel-air
mixture stoichiometry (actually Lewis number.... but for this discussion,
the practical quantity is fuel/air ratio).  I don't know on which side of
stoichiometric gasoline falls with respect to minimum ignition energy, but
I'd expect it to be on the rich side.  That is, the point of minimum
ignition energy is with a slightly rich mixture.  Of course, in the real
world, the fuel-air mixture is not truly premixed, and the theory is a bit
hard to apply....

So, in practice, to make your car knock, advance the timing, drive it on a
hot day, and use low octane fuel.  I've also observed that the tendency for
knock is supressed with richening the fuel-air mixture.  (When I bought my
'74 gtv, the owner had the timing advanced to >30 degrees BTDC!, but the TA
was shot and the car did not knock at all).  We've also all experienced the
phenomenon of knock occurring under low rpm with wide open throttle.  I'll
have to think about that one a bit to explain why it occurs... but not
today.

The bottom line is that I'd recommend advancing timing until either the car
knocks or acceleration goes down.  In practice, I find that on American
iron, knock will occur before acceleration diminishes.  On my spica gtvs
with stock cams, I've found best performance to be about 7 degrees BTDC at
idle to be the best advance.  At this position, I experience no signs of
knock (either audible or visual... when the engine is apart).  Further
advances don't seem to increase acceleration.

Hope this helps.

Bob Brady, DVAROC
'74 gtv
'88 verde