bad generator?

Hey All,
	Another track weekend for Turner.  The NWARC had a driver training event
at Bremerton Raceway, a traditional 'airport' track.  At least there's not
much to hit.  It rained and rained and rained, on top of that it was very
gusty; wonderful weather for a driver training event, no need for water
trucks in the great northwet.  Once again, rain is the great equalizer, you
wouldn't believe how many 'slower' cars were able to catch and pass the
more powerful ones simply due to driver skill level.  Most people don't
like braking hard or late in the rain, that's where we CATCH'EM!!
	Turner did wonderfully, but my little 1600 motor is still running the
stock generator, and the dashboard light came on during the track event and
has stayed on.  I checked the obvious things, the drive belt is still
properly tensioned, all my leads seem to be attached.  What are the first
things to check for, can I get a voltage reading right from the generator?
Which voltage should I see at what rpm, etc, etc.?
	If my generator is bad, I wouldn't hesitate to put an alternator on.  This
bastardization could always be returned to original quite easily if one
desired.

Steve S.
Seattle, WA
'67 GTV