'86 Spider gauge problems

Symptom: Car starts and runs fine but suddenly all of the gauges are
non-functional. My brother checked the fuses and that does not seem to
be the problem. What might cause this particular anomoly? Second
problem: As a result of resetting the trip meter while under way the
speedometer jammed up and now the odometer, trip meter and speedometer
are now non-functional. Is just a simple cable replacement all I need to
do?

P.S. Let's get all of our cars running perfectly and then argue amongts
ourselves who did it the 'right' way and who did it the 'wrong' way.

Tony Costello
'86 Alfa Spider Graduate
'92 Honda 750 Nighthawk
'97 Chevrolet Blazer (I gotta haul 'em)