Re: Alfa Mongrels

Rich Wagner makes some good points about reverse engineering and
questioning the design of the original Alfa engineers. I applaud
him for giving examples and giving his argument without the use
of sweeping insults.

I have to disagree with him though on the absolute tone of his statements.
Just as I refuse to accept that the only people qualified to work on
my Alfas are certified Alfa Mechanics with all the factory tools and
backing of ARDONA, I refuse to accept that modifying my own car is
always unwise.

It is good practice to use the Factory Service manual as a guide and
it is also generally best to leave the well designed Alfa alone...but there
are exceptions. Professional mechanics and engineers have a certain
obligation to consider the  general population of owners. The mechanic
must take precautions for safety, and durability. The engineer must
consider a wide range of environments, driving styles and must
also consider economics, warranty costs, etc. When I am making
similar decisions, it's only me to consider. If I don't like the
modification, I can change it back. If I make a mistake with my
repair I can fix it again. Professionals don't have this luxury.

So when I decide to try different springs in my GTV6, it's no
big deal. I can switch back if I don't like it. When I switch to
a mechanical tensioner and find that my timing belt is no
longer always oil soaked, I'm happy. When I lower the front
of my GTV6 down a bit, I can always raise it back up if I want.
The car is not bastardized...and I feel better for taking the
risk and winning. Much better than resigning oneself to the
position of always being at the mercy of those pros. Of course
it's good to know they are there if I need to fall back on them...

--
Colin Verrilli     Raleigh, NC     verrilli@vnet.ibm.com
'84 GTV6 (lowered, springs, ANSA, headers, steering wheel, deves rings, mech tensioner)