RE: [alfa] Rear axle noise on high(est) mileage GTV6

Most likely the rear wheel bearings. They are not terribly long lived ...
back in the days when these cars were (relatively) new, I could count on
them coming into the shop at 40,000 miles for a water pump and rear wheel
bearings.

Replacement is not too difficult, provided you have the proper tools and
things aren't too rusty. In the proper tools department, you need the
special socket for the bearing retainers, a very large air impact wrench,
and either the special alfa tool for removing/installing the bearings. Also,
oxy-acetylene torches will help greatly most times.

Wheel bearings should be readily available from any of your favorite Alfa
parts suppliers, or locally through any better parts stores that know
European stuff. The bearings fit many other applications (VW/Audi/Saab,
etc).

You will also need replacement retainers.

HTH,

Jeff