[alfa] Stupid Looking Alfas

I certainly will give you the 1952 Touring designed Disco Volante (C 52) was a rather unusual approach to aerodynamics. To paraphrase a remark once made by Phil Hill - driving one at speed is similar to trying to drive a Frisbee.

Interestingly enough in 1956 Pinin Farina came out with their first of four design studies (all on the same 6C 3000 CM chassis) which included the now well known concave (or as John Hertzman prefers, gouge) horizontal section running from behind the front wheel well to the rear of the car.

Might Pinin have looked at the Disco and thought, what if we made the sides innies rather than an outies? I won't say the Series one through four Pininfarina Spiders are everyone's cup of tea, but the basic concept sure did have a long run. It will come as no surprise I feel the Duetto / Round-Tail will be considered one of Alfas iconic designs - if it hasn't already reached that status.

So what do you think of Bertone's B.A.T. cars? Believe it was BAT 7 whose owner would sometimes drive his son to school in the 7. The son insisted on being dropped off two blocks from school (and probably wore shades). Not sure if that was before or after the fins were cut off (now of course restored to originality).

Most everyone loves the 750-101 Giuliettas and Giulias - especially the Spiders. I personally wish the bumpers, especially the fronts, had been scaled down somewhat. That said, the front of the cars are terribly busy, and terribly shiny with brightwork, which contrasts beautifully with the clean body shape and virtual lack of ornamentation along the sides.

Sorry, the GTV has never inspired me. I do rather like the step-nose, but as nice as the design is, just doesn't have a unique flair which I associate with Alfas. Yup, of course I like the Alfetta GT, but have liked "fast-backs" since I was young and always felt if one feels the need for four doors, then get rid of a few of the kids.

Sorry, the bent-back Milano just never made sense to me. It is not attractive, it serves no purpose, and still have to say, "Why?" Was Chris Bangle working for Alfa in those days? Once inside though and especially in a 3 liter, it is a blast to drive.

Biba
Irwindale, CA USA