[alfa] Re: 164 Battery

"alfajess" <alfajess@domain.elided> wrote:

> It appears that my LS' battery is due for change. I went to
> Sears' website and guess what, they do not have a battery
> listed for 164! I've tried all options from 93 to 95.
>
> Just wondering where do the rest of you get the right
> battery from? I should go home and check my manuals
> for the specs...

12-valve 164 batteries are size group 31P, which are rather
large and long compared to the typical passenger car battery.
I have not looked at the battery compartment on the 24-valve
cars.  They may well use the same size.

Assuming your LS takes the same battery as my '91 L, you
want a Sears no. 27722.  This is one of their "Heavy Duty
Commercial" batteries (it even comes with a picture of a big
rig on the label).

The 27722 is rated at 900CCA and fits perfectly under the
164 factory mounting hardware.  They are also pretty cheap.
I think I paid sixty-something dollars for mine.

Unfortunately, I do not believe that Sears keeps this item
in stock at their auto centers.  You will most likely have
to special-order it.

Regards
Tom
thomasw@domain.elided