[alfa] re: Alfa values

AlfaBill, with whom I usually agree on everything, wrote:

Subject: [alfa] VALUES

Amazing, a day when the Berlina pulls more than a 164L...

Sad.
No - about damn time, is what it is. As much as I love my Milano, I'd much rather have a really good Berlina, and as far as I'm concerned a 164 isn't even in the picture. So long as you keep the body in decent shape, a Berlina ought to last just about forever. There isn't a thing on the car that can't be replaced, either with an original part or with a decent substitute, and any reasonably competent driveway mechanic can do most of it. And it is a really sweet car. Doesn't have the corner-carving prowess of a Milano, nor that wonderful battlecry you get from the V6 at full blast, but it's a much more comfortable (to this butt, anyway) long-distance cruiser. Rides better, too, solid rear axle or no.
The 164 was a nice car, probably the sweetest-handling biggish FWD sedan made up to that point, but it's already had an awful lot of vital pieces join the NLA list, as has the Milano - if Bill Werner at Alfa Only didn't have a good stock of parts cars I'd have had to park Rico a long time ago.

Will Owen
Pasadena, CA
'87 Milano Gold
'71 Citroen DS21