[alfa] No such thing as a 1750 Duetto?

Richard Ballantine wrote: With all the talk about D. Hoffman's ride, I thought that someone would have quickly said that only the initial year or so of the body style, with the 1600, is a Duetto. Anyone agree? Willie R.?

******

Richard, on 12/1 I wrote (among other things) - (While not technically correct, I consider any Series 1, non '69 Round-Tail, to be a Duetto).

I certainly can't say I haven't been guilty of doing the same, but often people email in a question or comment which has just been answered.

A recent one was the "outcry" as to what year The Graduate was released.
From the beginning of the discussion (not by me) it was established it
was released in '67. Believe this is what happened: Kevin Trent said CBS couldn't get its facts straight claiming the car Dustin Hoffman was driving on the recent 60 Minutes broadcast was a '69. (I replied and am still waiting in turn for a reply from him).

However after that there was a small buzz as to when the movie came out - was it in '69 or just exactly when?

Along with my (admittedly incorrect) calling All 1600 Series 1 Spiders Duettos, I felt, until recently I was doing the same with the Alfetta. After all on later "Alfetta GT's" it clearly says GTV on the rear vents. After recently purchasing a soft cover perfect bound 1980 USA edition (though printed in Italy) of the parts manual, it says Alfetta at the top of the cover. It shows the 2000 (I assume the sedan) dash having the Alfetta script on it. They also show the GTV dash but again there is the Alfetta script at the top of the page - which tells me the factory (at least for the US) considered all of them and at least up to the GTV6 to be Alfettas.

I'm sure there are those out there which can give specific examples, but it is not unusual for cars, often fairly rare ones, to be what I'll call "affectionately known" by another name rather than the one with which the factory christened them. Okay..."Bugeye" for an example.

I'm sure the name Duetto would have been applied to all of the Round-Tails had there not been (I'm quoting from the book "Alfa Romeo Duetto Spider" by Giancenzo Madaro): "Soon after (mid 1966) it (Duetto) had been adopted by Alfa Romeo (after holding a contest) a problem arose. A large confectionery firm, Pavesi, politely informed Alfa that among their various products was one based on two components, biscuit and filling, and that it had been named Duetto."

The author considered it a rather dull name and simply states that Alfa quietly dropped the name after it had been used for a year or less. Again quoting: "The spider 1600 therefore assumed a nickname given to it in the factory (as happened at Fiat with the name Topolino) "Osso di Sepia" or Cuttlefish Bone" after the round-tailed styling of its coachwork."

Richard, bet by now you're sorry you even brought it up. Of course you refer to all mid '67 Spiders and beyond as Osso di Sepia's?

See how many items show up when you plug in Osso di Sepia on eBay. Then try Duetto.

Biba
Irwindale, CA USA