[alfa] Studs for heater removal

In a message dated 11/22/2004 6:32:39 PM Central Standard Time,
owner-alfa-digest@domain.elided writes:
Date: Mon, 22 Nov 2004 13:49:04 -0800
From: alfacybersite <acs@domain.elided>
Subject: [alfa] A/C interference with heater fan access?

I'll readily admit my "expertise" with heaters is primarily with Series
1 Spiders. Should the mounting points not have been changed for Series 3
(?) Spiders, there are two 6 mm studs per side which will require a 10
mm socket.
-----------------------

    The studs on all Alfa heaters that I have messed with were 5 mm studs
requiring an 8 mm wrench.  There are two on each side of the heater, way up under
the dash.  They are small and may easily break off rather than unscrew.  On a
spider it is rather easy to remove the cowl over the windshield wipers, drill
out the broken stud base and weld in larger 6 mm bolts.
    As I recall, the studs are angled such that a long extension will not
work.  A deep 8 mm socket on a 1/4 inch drive ratchet seems to be the tool to
use.  Having really small hands on really long skinny arms might help too.

Ciao,
Russ Neely
Oklahoma City