[alfa] RE: alfa-digest V10 #434

Date: Tue, 23 Nov 2004 15:07:19 +1300
From: White Anthony <anthony.white@domain.elided>
Subject: RE: [alfa] XK140 tops (NAC)

DROPHEAD COUPE
Definition: See Convertible. Also called Cabriolet on the European Continent.

CONVERTIBLE
Definition: Any car with a folding roof. Term used in U.S. since the 1930s. In
the 1950s, the "hardtop convertible" was developed to look like a convertible
but had a fixed roof that did not fold. Also called a drophead coupi.

> Really??  I thought Drophead Coupe ("DHC") was just their term for the
> convertible version, of which there was only (per model).

Nope, quite different cars.

The DHC was ostensibly a 2+2, had a fixed windscreen, wind-up windows, and a
proper convertible roof.  The interior was more luxurious, including wooden
dash, as it didn't have to be so weatherproof.

The Roadster was a dedicated 2 seater, removable windscreen, side screens
rather than wind-up windows, leather covered dash, padded leather caps on the
doors, and only a token top.

If you run a quick google search for pictures of each model, the differences
are quite easy to spot.

Anthony White
Wellington, NZ