RE: [alfa] Re: alfa-digest V10 #424

Emilio in Toronto asked:

"I need some advice with regards to the replacement of my transaxel in my 83
gtv/6...."

When I bought my '82 GTV6 approximately six years ago, the second-gear
synchromesh function was completely non-existent, and I got fairly
proficient double-clutching (actually, as discussed here previously, double
de-clutching). Still, shifting up and down in this fashion isn't how the car
was designed to drive.

About two months ago, I was able to purchase a used and slightly refurbished
transmission (only- I didn't need the rest of the transaxle) from Larry at
Alfa Parts Exchange (209/833-8330) for $500, with a return core charge of
$200. The "slightly refurbished" part was the installation of new
second-gear synchros; this wasn't represented as a rebuilt transmission in
any fashion (Thanks, Michael!).

The transmission arrived slightly sooner than I expected, works freaking
wonderful (!!!!!), my core charge was credited quickly,  and the whole
episode further reinforced my massive appreciation for APE.

I'm not sure what it would cost to ship one to Toronto from California, but
would be happy to find out for you. As much as I value my local SoCal
mechanics and their ability to rebuild my transmission, I wasn't ever able
to have that done, and fully appreciate this replacement as it is.

Cheers!

Jim Barrett

Huntington Beach, CA   USA