RE: [alfa] Re: alfa-digest V10 #424

>  I need some advice with regards to the replacment of my
> transaxel in my 83 gtv/6. I have owned the car for the last
> 16 years. The car is in need of a tranny in particular the
> gearbox. It seems as though a tooth from first gear broke off
> and shreded the rest of the parts.  The car is in great shape
> with low kms. Any advice or recommendations during the
> replacement of the transaxel? I have been told by some to go
> with an 85 gtv/6 trans for the shorter gears? Lastly, does
> anyone know of a good parts (used) supplier or private
> individual in Toronto Canada?

There are a number of issues wrt replacing the gearbox.

Yes, some prefer the gear ratios of the non 82/83 GTV6's.  However, you need
to make sure you can use the speedo sender - it changed in '85.  Also, the
gear shift mechanism changed, including the input to the gearbox.

I think a box from an '81 or an '84 should bolt right in and allow you to
use your existing speedo sender and gear shift mechanism.

If you're going to go through the trouble of an '85 or later box, then I'd
recommend the Milano Platinum box, which not only has the 4.10 rear end, but
is also limited slip.

HTH,

bs