[alfa] Re: alfa-digest V10 #424 - 93 Spider oil dip stick

In a message dated 11/17/2004 5:30:07 PM Central Standard Time,
owner-alfa-digest@domain.elided writes:
Date: Wed, 17 Nov 2004 17:08:20 -0500
From: "Gwynne W. Spencer" <gwynnes1@domain.elided>
Subject: [alfa] '93 Spider oil dip stick

On my '93 Spider Veloce dip stick there are two small holes, one near the
bottom, the other up about 1 1/4". The manual does not discuss the details:
I want to know what the amount of oil is represented by this distance - 1
liter??

Gwynne Spencer

    Two quarts.  To check that, the next time you change oil, add six quarts,
start the car to fill the oil filter and check the dip stick.  The total
system holds eight quarts, so after six you should be on the lower mark.  Add
another quart and you should be half way between the marks.  Then add the last
quart.
    I say eight quarts assuming that you pull the valve cover and change the
half quart of dirty oil in the cam galleys.  I always fill the oil filter to
soak up the filter material and decrease the amount of oil needed on start up
to fill the filter.
    If you want to be really obsessive compulsive, drop the lower sump of the
oil pan and clean the crap out of the bottom when you change the oil.
    And while you have the valve cover off, you might check the valve
clearances and tension the timing chain.

Ciao,
Russ Neely
Oklahoma City