Date: Sat, 13 Nov 2004 09:53:45 -0800
From: "RC Hiatt"
Subject: RE: [alfa] American Collectors Insurance

I have a 85 spider on American Collector because the car is too new for
Haggerty. I suspect they too will insure the 85 in a year or two. My two
older Alfa's (including a 81 GTV6) are on Hagerty. These two companies are
comparable in price, both very cheap for full coverage collector car
insurance. The low cost is based on claims data showing a low risk for
people with older, seldom driven, multiple, rarer types of vehicles stored
in a secure garage. The best thing about these prices is I can now afford to
have multiple Alfa's and by using a different car from time to time; I can
approach daily driver usage in total miles between the 3 cars. This many
cars would be economically impossible if I had to pay "normal" insurance
rates. All it takes is the storage space.

While I am quite satisfied with both companies, American is slower to get
confirmed coverage and takes more snail mail. No claims experience with
either one, and do not intend to have any. When I think of the huge amounts
I pay State Farm over the past 30 years for daily drivers and a limited use
RV, it is a true rip off, but cheaper than alternatives so far.

Richard
Portland, OR