Re: [alfa] Sealants at the bottom of the cyinder liners

At 10:45 AM 11/12/04, alfacybersite wrote:
>I'm with Al Will on this one. A light smear of blue RTV on the thin
>O-rings before installing. Though, I do believe you'll still want your
>tubes, washers, and head nuts to hold liners in place when turning the
>crank.
>
>While I've only had to do it once, but machinist put in several gouges
>in the block's liner walls getting out some nasty stuck in liners. JB
>Weld and careful sanding filled in the grooves, along with the lower
>pits in the wall.
>
>Biba
>Irwindale, CA USA

Easiest way to get a seriously stuck liner out of most any block is to run
a bead of weld around the inside of it about a third of the way down from
the top of the fitted portion of it. Once the weld cools (and shrinks as it
does so), the liner will usually FALL out of the block if you turn it
upside down.

RUN, don't walk, away from any so-called automotive machinist who doesn't
know THIS one !!

Greg