[alfa] Re: Purchasing an Alfa or BMW in Europe

But, Chip, you CAN buy a new Alfa and bring it back to the USA. If you
are an American citizen, living abroad, and you buy a car not certified
by the D.O.T. for sale in the USA, you may bring it home with you as
personal property. You may exercise this exemption ONCE in a lifetime,
as I understand it. The car does NOT have to meet US safety standards,
nor are you under any requirement to make it comply. The only thing
that the car MUST do is pass the smog requirements for that year
vehicle set by the state where it will be registered. Any modern
gasoline-powered Alfa will pass even California's strict
dynamometer-based "Smog II" standards. I know of several V-6 156
sedans, one from 1997 and the other from 2002, which easily pass CA
emissions tests with absolutely NO modifications.

Check with the US Consulate to find out the particulars and go for it!

George Graves
'86 GTV-6 3.0 'S'