[alfa] Improving a GT Junior

Rodney Leng had written:

My mechanic has suggested these improvements to my 1970 GT Junior with a
1750cc engine and my desire to go the GTA route:

Well, "improvement" is in the eye of the beholder.  You didn't tell us in
detail what you really intend to do with the car.  "Aggressive street with
occasional track", "non-streetable / 100% track", ...  so, it's a bit hard
to comment on your mechanic's recommendations.  However, a few
ideas/thoughts:

- You can get a LOT of power out of a 1750 engine, and stay in
a race class where you will be more competitive.  If you upgrade
to a 2L you may find yourself running with the 911's and
Camaros, which could be a lot less fun.

- Your mechanic seems to be putting a lot of emphasis into the
brakes and suspension, which is good.  But, I would think that a
roll cage would be justified before you go too far down the
"competition prep" road - both to add rigidity to the chassis,
as well as for safety.

- Substituting aluminum door skins and hood/trunk panels
is going to be an expensive way to reduce lap times a few
milliseconds.  I would think that the same $ invested in the
engine and suspension would go a lot further.  I'd leave that
one till last, and assume that "last" will never come.

- Wow, I really like the red-painted engine and undercoated
engine bay.  Just like a testarosa!  (I'm kidding).

Have fun - we are all waiting to hear if your mechanic's
children chose Harvard or Princeton.

Jay Mackro