Date: Thu, 11 Nov 2004 15:50:48 +0000
From: "Allen Mitchell"
Subject: [alfa] Welders

Now, I am sure that all manner of expert welders with years of experience
are going to tell me I am an idiot, but here goes:

I have a Campbell and Hausfeld welder I got off e-bay 3 years ago. I use it
pretty regularly, on both sheet metal and brackets, tubing, etc. It is a
110V one, and I have had pretty good luck welding just about everything on
my car. I use C25 (Argon/CO2), and would never go back to flux core MIG
except under duress-smoky, dirty, ugly welds. It was not expensive, and has
been very reliable.
Welding is great because it opens whole new avenues for problem solving, and
fabricating. I would like to weld aluminum (and I know that with a bottle
of argon and aluminum wire I could with my mig gun), but TIG seems like the
most elegant way to do that-and finding an affordable TIG setup has been
difficult. The Miller Econotig looks like the best deal so far.
- -Al