[alfa] re: Welders

As an owner of both a tig and mig welders. I thought would throw in my 2 cents. I have used to have a deep and unreasonable prejudice towards mig welders (both the machines and the people who use them.) "Glue guns for metal" said I. Until, I got to use a miller mig welder and saw some pretty amazing welds done by other people. There is a reason they are soooo popular they can do nice work very quickly and they are a hell of a lot cheaper than a Tig machine. Tig welds are very pretty, but take more time to do. In addition, they tend to make stronger welds by dint of their penetrating power into the metal. Mig welding sheet metal is fine with a 110v unit but a 220v unit will do a better job . You don't need top of of the line but if you want to make stronger weldments on thicker metal, the extra capacity is worth the extra cost. Also just because you have the right wire and gas to weld aluminum does not mean that you can successfully weld aluminum. Counter- intuitively, aluminum takes more power to weld not less. The heat is dissipated more rapidly in aluminum so that if you don't hit with a lot of heat right away, a much larger area will heat up over time and you will melt a big hole in your aluminum. Preheating the metal helps as well. The first thing I welded in aluminum looked like I had done with it napalm. Thats the point I got some training on how to do it right.
Cheers,
Kenn