Re: [alfa] Need advise on welding equipment

On Wed, 10 Nov 2004 05:05:20 -0800 (PST) Jeff Smith <jrs571@domain.elided> wrote:

> Nash Bap <nashbap@domain.elided> wrote:Hello:

> I'd like to try my hand at welding stuff such as Alfa sheet metal and exhaust and
> am considering purchasing a wire welder. Needless to say there is a lot of stuff
> on the market and I am quite confused. 110V or 220V?

110V is fine for sheet metal, but one exception i wouldn't weld a roll cage with
it (there is a 110V Miller which i'm told can provide the penetration needed for
a 0.120 wall cage.)

> What
> gauge thickness is typical Alfa sheet metal?

um, "light". sheet metal is not heavy stuff. the breakpoint where
you'd go up to 220V is well above any sheetmetal work requirements.

> While MIG will probably be cleaner
> will a flux cored wire be able to do the job?

do it right, get a MIG

> Any brand recommendations?
> Lincoln, Campbell Hausfeld, Harbor Freight?

Lincoln has an excellent rep. Miller is probably the best
overall. i didn't know Campbell Hausfeld made welders,
and i have no idea who Harbor Freight sources them from,
and if i did it wouldn't matter because they'd be sourcing
from someone else next week.

richard