[alfa] LS heater core

On Sunday I was driving in the mountains south of San Francisco.  After turning on the climate control I noticed steam/vapor and the unmistakable smell of coolant coming from the lower heating ducts on the passenger side.

I shut off the system and returned home.  Once in my driveway I turned the climate control on & off, then switched over to Econ mode.  I alternated between full heat and A/C.  No more steam/vapor.  The area around the ducts was dry.  No coolant leaks on the driveway.

When I checked the expansion tank it was empty (it was full the week before, and the week before that the cooling system was drained & flushed).

Driving around today everything seems fine.  Is my heater core about to go south?  I'm not looking forward to replacing it 'cause it looks like a bitch to get to.

Paul

95 LS 5-speed (66K miles)
83 GTV6 (242K miles)
03 Aprilia Falco (4K miles)