[alfa] re: single row timing chains

Now that I've given this some thought, I'm inclined to question the alternator issue. Sure, a smaller alternator has less rotating mass (which requires power to accelerate from one speed to another), and presumably less friction with the air from the little impeller on the front. But as far as the work of generating electricity, the load that the alternator puts on the engine is proportional to the current being drawn from it, right? So I would think that the only thing that would change with the installation of a smaller alternator would be its maximum output--you'd just be capping the output, which I doubt affects anything on a race car, since no track event I've ever attended has required loud stereos or multiple 130W driving lights. Maybe you should try rewiring your charging system (bigass diode on the battery positive wire, perhaps) so that you don't waste any power charging the battery--just charge it with a trickle charger after every race.

Joe