[alfa] Berlina Tail Lights Always On

Hey folks,

Yesterday, the tail lights on my 1969 Berlina came on at some point while I was driving (just after washing the car). They refuse to "switch" off (a misnomer, since they are on even though the light switch is in the "off" position. None of the other lights are on, including the rear side markers. I disconnected the battery so as not to discharge it while the Berlina was in the garage overnight, but when I connected the battery this morning, a small spark indicated an open circuit and sure enough, the lights were on. With the light switch in the "on" position, everything appears to work as normal, but the tail lights do not go off when the switch tells them to.

Thanks in advance for any assistance, clues, or just understanding nods of the head.

-James
1969 Alfa Romeo 1750 Berlina
1981 Fiat Spider 2000