[alfa] re: Bobcor's Alfas

This scheme strikes me as too weird to be true. While 1000 cars may be more than they sold in '94-95, the 164 was already certified and might have even sold well enough in '91-93 to turn a profit. Even if Fiat is pocketing all the profit that comes from a $60k 156 sale, I can't imagine it's worth their while to certify. I can understand them wanting to capitalize on the USA market (they said they wanted to come back, after all), and wanting to do it this way as long as the funds don't exist to make the full-fledged comeback that they had intended. I can even see them reversing the contempt they expressed towards previous private importation efforts in light of those motives. Certainly, a 50% markup, no warranty, and no dealer network make it that much easier to turn a profit, but I just don't see the certification costs being feasible, especially if they have to make new headlights, ECU software, etc. For 1000 units? Come on. Am I missing something? Some kind of exemption? (How many Elises does Lotus plan to sell here, by the way?) Even if Fiat thinks it's worth their while, where does Bobcor think this business is going to go? If they get their 1000 orders, and Fiat sends 1000 US-legal cars over here for $60k each, what's to stop me from going to Italy, buying a standard 156 for $40k, fitting the USA headlights which will presumably exist, and personally importing it under the "equivalent to a model currently sold here" clause. Bobcor will never sell the 1001st car. And don't manufacturers have to provide a 50kmi emissions warranty to certify a car for sale here? That seems a little inconsistent with Bobcor's "no warranty." And of course, I also have to ask, why the TwinSpark rather than the V6? Fuel here is cheap, and we don't have displacement taxes, and we prioritize powerful engines in our car-buying decisions. That, and dozens of Alfa shops around the country know how to work on the 24V V6. Wait a minute, I thought the TwinSpark was discontinued when they introduced their direct-injection gasoline engines ("JTS"). Can anyone shed some light on what exactly Bobcor is doing here?

As usual, just my 40 lira, free advice is worth what you pay for it, YMMV,
Joe Elliott