[alfa] Graduate trans/clutch issue

I rebuilt the 86 Graduate engine after putting a whole in the block (don't ask
how).  Rebuilt using a 2L block (supposedly from another spider) and the
engine runs great.  Put trans and engine together outside car and installed as
a unit.  From the beginning, the clutch had to be pushed down all the way to
shift.  Checked the TO bearing fork/mount, re built slave, etc. with no joy.
Problem got worse over a period of a few months.  Now there is a loud clanking
noise that can only be relieved by pushing in the clutch pedal part way down.

I am suspecting that the trans is too close to the engine and that maybe the
block I used for rebuild needs a thicker spacesr between the engine and trans.

Any ideas or similar experience.   PS.  Used my old crank in replacement
block because of better condition.