[alfa] MarelliPlex

Jeffrey Frey wrote:

I don't understand this thread.  Is there a GM module that can be used to convert an Alfa to electronic ignition?

Jeffrey

*******
Jeffrey, I thought most are aware of the MarelliPlex and that it is composed primarily of five parts: Distributor w/ cap, magnetic pickup, heatsink, coil, and control module. While I do have a Marelli brand control module, I gather they "might" later have been supplied with GM control modules - whose appearance is virtually identical to the Marelli version.

In theory, same part, different manufacturer - or possibly GM manufactured them for Marelli in the first place and put Marelli's name on them - but doubt that.

Not to confuse the issue, but the parts guy at the local GM distributor turned his monitor around so I could see the various control modules to help locate a module which appeared to resemble the one I brought in. In one case the GM control module was inside the distributor.

What seems unusual about this is there is a strong feeling / theory of many of us with MarelliPlex's that heat is a major factor in the 'Plex's control module (which is underneath the coil) failing, thus causing the ignition to temporarily quit working.

Sorry if I have confused the situation even more,

Biba
Irwindale, CA USA --