[alfa] Brake bleed procedure

While I agree with a lot Gil Gagne had to say on the subject - do disagree with a few of his comments. I know many do pre-bleed the clutch / brake MC, but I'm not one of them. I simply fill the reservoir once installed and it generally bleeds fine. I have loosened the lines from the MC's, especially the clutch one (after putting a bunch of paper towels around it) to let air out - but find it seldom necessary.

However, I always start bleeding the cylinders starting at the farthest bleed screw from the MC. In the case of the transaxle cars, I start with the far rear right bleed screw, then move to the inside one. Many do both sides at one time. I then go to the inside driver's side, outside, then onto the right front (passenger side) caliper, then end with the left front. It is rare I have to go around a second time for the brakes. Not unusual to redo it several times for the clutch.

Well aware there are a lot of varying methods regarding bleeding the hydraulic systems, so just throwing my method into the ring.

I will add there is seldom some one around to do the (my terms vary slightly from Gil's) "push" / "hold" bit. I get everything set up "underneath", crawl back out, push several times with my foot on the appropriate pedal, have correct sized stick and with pedal down, place the stick on pedal pad, then shove it into the seat cushion to hold it in place, tighten bleed screw, then do it all over again.

Yes, this old guy gets a workout doing it this way, and always dread the bleeding process.

Biba
Irwindale, CA USA