Date: Wed, 06 Oct 2004 20:48:22 -0600
From: Steve A <gtv2000@domain.elided>
Subject: [alfa] GTV6 fuel pump/filter orientation

My 82 GTV6 was a no-start the other day and I traced the problem to the fuel pump failing (I propped the AFM open, turned the ignition on and when I whacked the pump it went from silent to gurgling). When I went to change the pump and filter, it seemed like an odd configuration and I'm wondering if a DPO changed something. The line from the tank comes from the back of the car, up past the filter and pump and does a sharp U-turn into the pump. The output of the pump goes straight into the filter. Then the line on the output of the filter does a U-turn and runs past the filter and pump to the front of the car. In other words, the pump sits forward of the filter, but pumps toward the back of the car into the filter.

This seems odd for a couple of reasons, although everything looks original -

1) shouldn't the filter be before the pump?
2) why all the extra lines? They seem to be prone to kinking at the u-turns.

Can anyone offer some help? Is this correct?

Thanks

Steve
Denver, CO
74 GTV (with carbs, a spica pump, and a regulator)
82 GTV6 Balocco SE #135