Re: [alfa] Re: GTV6 fuel pump/filter orientation

I'm certainly not an engineer, [nor do I play one on TV], but
something occurs to me on this that hasn't been mentioned.  Perhaps
the strange orientation is purposeful, to affect some insulation in
the fuel lines [though pressurized] from
acceleration/deceleration-induced surges front to rear?  Just a
thought to share, forgive me if in light of the pressurization of the
system, this is irrelevant.

On Thu, 07 Oct 2004 20:36:49 -0400, Shures <shures@domain.elided> wrote:
> Every GTV-6 I have seen has this set-up.
>
> 1) Every fuel injected car I have worked on has a large filter after the
> pump.
>
> 2) Someone from the digest offered one of the U shaped hoses for sale
> last year.  I thought about buying it just because my fuel pump seems to
> have a bad check valve and hoses might be part of any repair attempt.
> But I didn't.
>
> I always thought I could work something out with Earl's or Aeroquip
> fittings; they have U shaped fittings.  There seems to be room to make
> some gentle turns under there without the use of any special hoses or
> fittings. Anyway, my pump still works so that project can wait for
> another day.
>
> What are others doing when faced with a pump problem and old hoses?
>
> By the way, the fellows at Centerline near you have been a good source
> of GTV-6 parts and advice.  I shop as close to home as possible but have
> sourced some things from them and gotten very good, sensible advice.
>
> Scott Shure
> 85 GTV-6
> Columbia, MD
>
> >Date: Wed, 06 Oct 2004 20:48:22 -0600
> >From: Steve A <gtv2000@domain.elided>
> >Subject: [alfa] GTV6 fuel pump/filter orientation
>

> >My 82 GTV6 was a no-start the other day and I traced the problem to the
> >fuel pump failing (I propped the AFM open, turned the ignition on and when
> >I whacked the pump it went from silent to gurgling).  When I went to change
> >the pump and filter, it seemed like an odd configuration and I'm wondering
> >if a DPO changed something.  The line from the tank comes from the back of
> >the car, up past the filter and pump and does a sharp U-turn into the
> >pump.  The output of the pump goes straight into the filter.  Then the line
> >on the output of the filter does a U-turn and runs past the filter and pump
> >to the front of the car.  In other words, the pump sits forward of the
> >filter, but pumps toward the back of the car into the filter.
> >
> >This seems odd for a couple of reasons, although everything looks original -
> >
> >1) shouldn't the filter be before the pump?
> >2) why all the extra lines? They seem to be prone to kinking at the u-turns.
> >
> >Can anyone offer some help? Is this correct?
> >
> >Thanks
> >
> >Steve
> >Denver, CO
> >74 GTV (with carbs, a spica pump, and a regulator)
> >82 GTV6 Balocco SE #135
> --

Cheers!
Hutson

J. Hutson Hart - ARA/DSAROC - 1991 Spider [white]
Petaluma, CA  94954-8530
primary ping: hutsonhart@domain.elided