[alfa] GTV Headlight connectors

Jeff Matson had asked:

>While investigating a flaky headlight on my '74 GTV 2000 today, I noted
>that there's some sort of connector or fitting where the wiring passes
>from the fender area into the headlight bucket (it's the same on both
>sides, so I assume that's original).  These connectors are both toast on
>my car.  They appear to have once been white or grey plastic or hard
>rubber, but now are soft, puffy, and look and feel like toasted
>marshmallows.

Cheeze, I'd just replace all that junk with new headlight connectors.
My NAPA auto store recently sold me new connectors for about
$6 apiece.  I was surprised at how light a gauge the pigtails on the
connectors seemed to be (look like 18 ga - comments anybody?)
but clearly when spliced into my Guilia Sprint's wiring harness, the
end result will be superior to the stock setup.

Yea, that old plastic/rubber material turns to putty (or marshmallow)
with time, and there seemed to be a lot of connectors between the
switch and the filament in the stock system.  Using a relay is a great
idea.  Eliminating the putty/marshmallow stuff seems logical too.  Even
if you wanted to duplicate the stock set-up, I can't imagine that
replacement parts would be available here in the US (given our
absence of dealers).

Regards

Jay Mackro
San Juan Capistrano, Ca.
Still jazzed about that great steering column shroud he scored at
yesterday's AROSC swap meet.